Any luncheon spent with fashion royalty is a special one, but this year’s FGI Rising Star Awards were especially charged with creative energy and very promising young talent. NYC’s best dressed returned to in person, post last year’s virtual ceremony and the vibrant energy of a reunion could certainly be felt throughout The Lighthouse at Chelsea Piers.
Red carpet overlooking the Hudson River was rolled out for Fashion Group International board members, Rising Star nominees, and friends. Notable figures of New York society and fashion scene included Vera Wang, Fern Mallis, Robert Verdi, Lynn Yaeger, Linda Fargo and Constance White to name just a few. Of course an event of this sort can not be complete without some of our favorite influencers : Katya Tolstova, Chris Lavish, Sarah Chiwaya of Curvily, Greivy and Olga Ferrara.
Cocktail hour went by fast. There were simply too many interesting people to catch up with or meet however it was time to give out awards. Ceremony kicked off with the opening remarks of Maryanne Grisz, FGI President and CEO and a big round of applause. Next on stage was a past rising star awards winner Jason Wu who presented the Entrepreneur of the Year Award to Cole Wassner, CEO of Wassner Management Group.
Actress Lisa Arrindell and Tracy Reese co-presented Byron Lars with the President’s Award for Excellence. His new brand In Earnest, epitomizes reinvention in today’s changing times. He plays with shapes, color and fabric and is a designer who truly knows how to accommodate any shape or size.
One of the highlights of the event were the keynote remarks of an iconic artist, author, and designer Rebecca Moses. We loved listening about her career and the time when she moved to Italy. She joked about having to tone down her American enthusiasm and about an exchange with Donatella Girombelli when asked to make ritual clothing. She quickly learned it has nothing to do with the “ritual” of bar mitzvah.
Awards continued with a high-profile slate of presenters sharing advice, inspiring words and some jokes.
“I was incredibly inspired by the profound words of our keynote speaker Rebecca Moses and our presenters: messages of support and wise insight into the path of a creative. All of the finalists and winners exemplified hope and the future of our industry.” – Maryanne Grisz, FGI President and CEO
Full list of winners:
- Gary Wassner presented the Hilldun Business Innovation Award to Savitude CEO Karen Williams
- Diesel Sustainability Ambassador Andrea Rosso presented the Diesel Sustainability Award to Mimi Prober
- ELLE Editor-in-Chief Nina Garcia presented the FGI Rising Star Award in Womenswear to Frederick Anderson
- American fashion designer Kerby Jean-Raymond presented the FGI Rising Star Award in Menswear to Christian Juul Nielsen for AKNVAS
- Graff President and CEO North America Marc Hruschka presented the FGI Rising Star Award for Fine Jewelry to Julie Lamb
- Stylist and Creative Director Freddie Leiba presented the FGI Rising Star Award for Accessories to Betzabe Gonzalez for Mia Becar
- Publicist, author, and TV personality Kelly Cutrone presented the FGI Rising Star Award for All Gender to Tristan Detwiler for Stan
- In a surprise tie, Chief Brand Officer Hearst Luxury Collections E-Commerce Ken Downing presented the FGI Rising Star Award for New Retail to both Nyakio Grieco for Thirteen Lune and Nancy Volpe Beringer for The Vault by Volpe Beringer
- Beauty entrepreneur and celebrity makeup artist Keita Moore presented the FGI Rising Star Award in Beauty to Mantas Butkus in absentia
This year’s sponsors include Hearst Magazines, Hilldun Corporation, Diesel, and Pullquest. For more go to FGI